I am currently at the beach but thought I'd set up a few things to share while I am gone. I hope to have lots to share when I come back. =)
The other day while having dinner at Rick's mum's house she mentioned a plum cake that her friend, Cindy, used to bake. Right away my ears perked up because just a few days before that I had gotten plums in my CSA basket. I asked her for the recipe and made it the very next day for Rick's office.
It's very easy to make and I think other large cut fruits such as apples or peaches would work nicely too.
Sunken Plum Cake
by Michelle by way of her mother-in-law's friend--Cindy
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 tsp vanilla (I couldn't resist and added this. It's not in the original recipe)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
9-12 plums, halved and pitted
Additional sugar & cinnamon to make approximately 1/4 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside
3. Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Slowly stir in the flour mixture.
4. Arrange the plums on top of the cake and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cake--not a plum!-- comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.